Saturday, June 13, 2009

He IS Moving

What do a chicken, a dog, a cat, and kids have in common?...I know this is a hard one. Theses are all things that will run through the house while you are leading a Bible study in the Philippines. In addition to those things, I have also experienced being peed on by a baby and a mother nursing her child while I am holding a Bible right in front of them. Hahaha oh the life of a missionary.
This was our first week in this burungie. It has been nothing short of AMAZING! The total number of salvations is 11 and we have had over 20 house Bible studies. I will share a few of so many stories and thoughts with you. First let me tell you about the burungie and the culture here. The people are all so very nice. They will invite you inside in a heart beat. Our first day there we decided to do laundry since we had not done it yet. All 4 of us americans grab our buckets and begin the task of washing our cloths. It was actually kind of fun. We sat outside the burungie and sang and washed cloths...for 2 hours!! It took a long time. At one point we had about 20 Philippinos around us watching us and laughing. Apparently we were not very good at washing our cloths. The children love us. In fact they look in our windows at all times..when we are sleeping, eating, or whatever. I have received many little gifts from them. Also, we have started a vbs every day at 5pm for children 11 and under and for older kids at 6pm, 12 and up. There is not a place to but meat in the burungie so we have been eating rice and noodles a lot. The burngie caption has a nice set up for us. We stay in what is called a burungie hall. It is a small room that is some what closed in. We have a tent inside there to keep mosquitoes out. Also, they have been so nice to bring us 3 electric fans and a water cooler. We bath out of buckets or...I just act like the water hose is a shower lol. I am actually enjoying it.
On to our ministry stories, God has really shown up this week. One day we shared with an older man named Poper. He ended up accepting Chirst. When we were about to leave he informed us that he has never heard the Word of God before. No one had every hiked up to his house to tell him. Let me just tell you it was the most intense hike of my life but it was well worth it for one soul! In fact, we hike there daily to help disciple him. Another day, we decided to go through this rice field to see if there were any houses. We ended up hiking about 3 miles to a village with 4 or so houses. The people ended up all being family. The grandma was still alive and she was 100 + years old. We were able to share with them as well. As i was making that first hike to their house with sweat pouring and my legs burning, i thought. "It is worth it. Even if only one person can hear about Christ." One of the goals of Nehemiah Teams is to reach the unreached and hard to reach. That we are doing my friend. God is giving me a huge burden for these people. One more story, one day we were doing Bible study with this 59 year old woman. I shared with her the story of Jesus walking on water. I explained that all of us sink in sin at some point but all we have to do is call out to the Lord to save us and he will. She began to cry and told us of how she is the only born again Christian that lives around her. She shared her struggle of wanting them to know the good news but it being hard for her to stand up. We prayed with her and have been coming back to encourage her daily. My heart was broken after that first visit with her. I take having a group of Chiristians around my for granted. We want to start a community Bible study in her house. We will see where God will lead.
One more thing, we worshiped today with a local pastor and last night I was goofing off and doing the sprinkler dance, etc. Well...this morning he made me get up in front of the church and do it for the whole congregation! It was an interesting experience lol.
Anyways, continue to pray! Pray for unity. Pray for more open doors. Pray for our vbs. Pray that we will be able to start a big house Bible study. Pray that we will be able to show a film to the whole burungie. Pray for slavation of these people. Pray for encouragement for the current believers in the burungie. Pray for strength, we are tired already. Pray for patience. Pray for God's will! I love you all!

Go and tell of what God is doing in your life!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Meg, I am delighted to read these things! It is so exciting to hear about the wonderful work of the Lord in the Philippines! I know you relate with those children and women so wonderfully. Your bright personality is a valuable gift from the Lord, and I have great confidence that He is using you in amazing ways. I love when Paul writes about creating a commonground with everyone. I believe you and the others of the Nehemiah teams are doing just that. Keep hiking, my dear friend, it is worth every step! Today I will especially be imagining you dancing in front of the congregation! HAHAHA! Bring that technique back to us Baptists back home! I am specifically praying for the things listed above. I love you so much. -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, it was good to hear from you. i'm glad you are having a good time and reaching these people, PRAISE GOD! i love reading your stories. it really helps me from worring as much about you. we miss you lots and cant wait to hear from you again. we will continue to pray. xoxoxo
    love you, tiff, ace, baylee & ritchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meg,
    Just wanted to let you know WE LOVE YOU !
    BE SAFE
    Sambo, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan! I'm so glad to hear what God is doing through you. Stay strong in Him and be encouraged! I'm praying for you!! and love you!! :)
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meg., Just wanted to let you know how proud Me & Uncle King are of you. You are a wonderful neice, WE LOVE YOU & MISS YOU LOTS.
    Keep up the great work.. Can't wait to hear from you next week.

    LOVE YOU, SHEILA

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspire me!! Much love to you...I praise God for your obedience and courage! Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan,
    I am so proud of you. I can remember you and Ashley as small children at church. I never dreamed that you would grow up to be a missionary. I give all the glory to God and have to mention how He worked through so many at church...esp. C.J. and Lisa. What a wonderful testament they are to the Lord! I pray for your safety, and you are esp. on my mind tonight, as I have been talking to the Lord. Know that you are one of a few He chose for this mission, and there is definately a reason. Sounds like He is really working through you and your fellowship. Stay safe, know that you are loved and thought about as you do God's work. I am keeping Ashley posted.I also have said a prayer for your family,as I can only imagine how they worry. Take care, and keep "herding the flock"/
    Love and Prayers,
    Sandy Harvell

    ReplyDelete